Why Is Having A Housing Plan So Important?
- Where you live matters so much to your quality of life, safety, security and your ability to access the services and supports you need.
- Having control and choice over where you live means you won't have to move because someone else wants you to, and if you want to change residential support providers, you can do that without having to move.
- Having permanently affordable housing costs means you won't have to keep moving, always chasing affordable rent, and being forced into undesirable, unsafe neighborhoods.
- The human service system does not pay for housing. Housing is the most expensive thing that people with disabilities must pay for themselves.
- Housing is one of the ways that families and others can help financially, without impacting a person's eligibility for SSI and Medicaid services.
- Many agencies do not provide housing. They only help people find rental housing so these agencies are thrilled when people having good quality, affordable housing available to them on a long-term basis.
Legacy Home ownership of housing for people with disabilities is advantageous because:
- Tenants get permanent, affordable housing with 24-hour property management.
- The arrangement gives people input regarding who they live with, as well as the ability to change residential providers.
- The arrangement allows family or others to help with the costs of maintaining the housing, so rent charged to the person with a disability can be reduced, without impacting eligibility for SSI and Medicaid.
- Legacy Homes commits itself to helping people who encounter periods of financial hardship, or who need accessibility modifications to continue to live in the home.
- The Legacy Homes program is flexible, and can sell a home and purchase or rent a different home for a person with a disability, if the person wants or needs this.